Physiotherapy For Knee Pain
We recently came across this question and we are happy to answer you.
I am 59 years old and suffer joint pain in both of my knees. I have tried many ways to eradicate the problem, such as applying medicated oil but not effective. Besides doing surgery in Singapore, can physiotherapy help to ease my pain?
What Causes Knee Pain?
The cause of your knee pain can be determined by the kind of symptoms and pain you experience. There are conditions that can lead to knee pain while there are also factors that can be against your knee health.
There are physical conditions and diseases that can cause knee pain. They include:
- Osteoarthritis – This is a chronic (long-term) degenerative disease that causes the breakdown of cartilage in the joints.
- Tendinitis: pain in the front of the knee that becomes worse after activities that involve stretching the knee up such as; climbing, taking stairs, or walking up an incline
- Bursitis: inflammation that results from stressing, overusing or injury on the knee
- Chondromalacia patella: this is a damaged cartilage under the kneecap
- Gout: arthritis caused by the buildup of uric acid
- Baker’s cyst: a misplacement and buildup of synovial fluid (fluid that lubricates the joint) behind the knee
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA): this is a chronic autoimmune inflammatory disorder resulting into painful swelling and can eventually cause deformation of the joint and eroding of the bone
- Dislocation: dislocation of the kneecap mostly due to trauma
- Meniscus tear: a rupture that occurs in either one or both of the cartilage in the knee
- Torn ligament: tear in one of the four ligaments in the knee — the most commonly injured ligament is the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)
- Bone tumors: osteosarcoma (second most prevalent bone cancer), most commonly occurs in the knee
What Are the Risk Factors that Aggravate Knee Pain?
There are a number of factors that can increase the risk of having knee problems. They include:
The kind of lifestyle you live can affect which diseases may result out of it. Sedentary lifestyles that come with being overweight or obese, increases the chance of knee pain because of the stress the knee joints experience even during ordinary activities such as walking or climbing stairs. It also catalyzes the breakdown of joint cartilage to cause Osteoarthritis.
Wear and Tear
Having previous injuries makes your knee vulnerable to more injuries again. It’s a very delicate organ in the body.
With age, there is lack of muscle flexibility and strength. Because it deteriorates, tight or weak muscles offer less support on the knee because they don’t absorb enough energy to counter the stress exerted on the knee.
Some sports involve the knee are so much that it puts great stress on it. Running, jogging or any kind of Sport may put the whole body at risk, if not only the knee itself.
So What is the First Step to Treating Knee Pain?
The best one is physiotherapy. Medications may not necessarily heal knee injuries especially if they are conditions, it basically masks the symptoms.
Knee pain has many causes and your knee treatment varies considerably depending on an accurate diagnosis. Treatment can involve simple knee mobilisation techniques, massage, taping, stretches or strengthening exercises all the way through to a thorough rehabilitation protocol post knee reconstruction or knee replacement.
A consultation with an experienced physiotherapist in Singapore can give you an accurate diagnosis and best treatment plan for your knee pain.
How Can Physiotherapy Exercises Help?
Knee exercises, if prescribed and performed correctly, can greatly assist the relief of your knee pain. The important thing to identify is which knee exercises are likely to help you and which could be harmful.
The exercise dosage plays a significant part in rehabilitating knee pain. Your exercise dosage will vary depending upon the phase of your specific diagnosis, your knee injury diagnosis, plus other individual health factors. This is exactly where your physiotherapist’s professional training including knee injury diagnosis and appropriate knee exercise prescription is important to guide you quickly back to pain-free knees.
Based on the significant individual differences of who presents with knee pain, it is highly recommended that you seek the professional advice of your trusted physiotherapist in Singapore who has a special interest in knee pain and injuries to guide your knee rehabilitation.